The real work starts when you decide to implement advanced invoice processing. You want to make sure the process runs smoothly and successfully. At Cevinio, we have vast experience implementing our solution. Over the years, we have gathered best practices that we want to share to help you in this quest. Below you will find our AP automation implementation tips.
After exploring different solutions for advanced invoice processing, internal discussions about needs and requirements will follow. You have finally selected the invoice automation software that meets your needs. Now, the main challenge would be to ensure that the implementation of the solution goes according to plan. The first step we find is the preparation phase. Here are the key subjects you should consider to successfully prepare for an implementation
1. Expectations and alignment: What do you want to change or improve with the new automated invoice process? And how are you going to measure success? Clarifying these, among other points, before the implementation will help you manage expectations. As stakeholders will be aware of what to look forward to, you will avoid additional pressure or differing reactions. The decision should be consensual to make sure participants and other parties are on the same page from the beginning.
When the project involves a partial or complete standardization of the process, alignment with the different countries and regions is essential.
At Cevinio, we have extensive experience rolling out our invoice automation solution in multiple countries for global enterprises. Therefore, our team can support you throughout this process.
2. The project plan. This is a crucial element for a successful implementation. The project plan can be prepared by: (1) the Cevinio team, (2) the client, or (3) collaboratively.
This document should reflect the most relevant information about what the project will consist of phases, deliverables, milestones, and timelines. The project plan needs to be agreed upon and aligned to avoid changes at later stages. It will give structure and framework to the project from the start.
3. Security and Compliance: There is no question about the importance of keeping the company’s information private. We see that many companies require various IT security protocols and compliance assessments. With our ISO27001, SOC1, SOC2, and GDPR certifications in place, we have the technical and architectural knowledge to thoroughly complete these assessments in a swift timeline.
We advise leaders to ensure that security and compliance are not going to be an issue in preparing ahead.
4. Change management: Implementing software for advanced invoice processing will represent a technology and business change. This should be addressed hand-in-hand and depends on the degree of automation you currently have in place. In some cases, the transformation can be substantial. Teaching and training all the users will ensure adoption and correct use. Jointly, we can plan all necessary demonstrations and training sessions for several types of functional users.
Nonetheless, when adequate internal change management initiatives accompany the implementation, you will facilitate the transition to any modified or new business processes and handling of potential implications.
5. Prepare all documentation on time. If you plan realistically, you define attainable delivery dates. From the preparation phase up to the testing phase, it is paramount for timely progress to prepare and deliver the documentation needed on time. We should avoid a ripple effect, which will impact the project plan which was previously agreed upon.
6. Make sure you have the right people involved from the beginning till the end. Based on our experience running implementations, we suggest involving at least the following roles: Finance/Accounting, Operations, IT, Strategy, and Digital Transformation. Within each of these departments, we see various job functions and roles that could be relevant. In the end, the most critical aspect is to ensure representation. You want to minimize changes from happening at a later stage.
The more carefully you consider all the elements listed above, the closer we will be to a successful implementation.
AP automation implementation tips
That way, you will manage expectations and help with time management. Also, provide clear expectations on what would be achieved. By following these AP automation implementation tips, businesses can achieve successful implementation and reap the benefits of automation.
In an implementation, we know that the design/blueprint phase is the most critical. Throughout it, we will discuss aspects such as current business processes, connections between systems, and potential business-critical requirements that the tooling would need to be adapted for. In advance, we share our (standard) capabilities to provide guidance. Our philosophy is to find satisfactory solutions for both.
We hope these tips help you as your company moves forward and chooses an advanced invoice processing tool.
If you would like to know more about how our solution can help your invoice process and how we work, do not hesitate to contact us, or schedule a short demo.